Re: [vox-tech] postgresql

A few of my thoughts adding to Henry's...

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 11:04:43AM -0800, Henry House wrote:
> 1. Look on the PostgreSQL website (.org) and get the docs there -- they are
> quite good.

Focus on learning SQL as opposed to PostgreSQL... this will help you later
when you want to use mySQL, Sybase, etc.  PostgreSQL an interpretation of
the ANSI SQL standard (as are Sybase and Oracle).

And before you focus on SQL, read up on DBMS systems, relational database
design, the normal forms, and why they are important and necessary.  Just
because you can create a table in Excel or a table in Access doesn't mean
you understand data normalization, the normal forms in which data should
be stored, indexed and related, or _relational_ database design.
[1]

> 2. Consider using the Perl DBI. There is an O'Reilly book on it that I will
> lend to you of interested.

Do or do not... there is no consider.  Perl's DBI is a unversal database
abstraction layer, meaning your code can run on any supported DBMS by only
changing what datasource you point to.  Very handy for migration between
DBMS as your needs grow.

There is no good reason not to use DBI.  (really)

> 3. Mail me for help :-).

Yeah, mail Henry for help.  :)

You may also consider starting with mySQL, as it is more easily managed,
doesn't require daily vaccums to maintain speed (postgresql), and doesn't
have all the overhead of a DBMS that can cloud the SQL portion.  This is
my personal view... some say start with Oracle.

PS  Yes, I've done database architecture too... wrote an accounting
package using mySQL that is still in production today.

[1]  this is my recommendation to turn out a person comfortable with
database design, sql, and database architecture.  If you're only looking
for a complex recipe book or something equally simple I'd suggest not
looking at SQL in general and PostgreSQL in particular.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/