January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] gimp question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] gimp question
  • From: Micah Cowan <micah@cowanbox.cMAPSom>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:33:51 -0800

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 11:38:37AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> very often in my scientific papers, i need to put an arrow in my diagrams.
> historically, i've used the picture environment in tex.
>
> lately, i've been using the gimp, but i'm bummed by the hoops i have to jump
> through to achieve arrow heads.

<snip>

> pete

What I don't understand, pete, is why you would use a raster-oriented
paint program such as gimp to do drawings in - won't they look plain
awful when they're printed out?

I know that you could increase the resolution, but it still seems a
fairly hacked-up (in the /not/ good sense ;)  way of doing it...?

I believe there is support for using xfig and other scaleable graphics
programs in tex...

-Micah