Re: [vox-tech] Can't Remove File

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Jan Wynholds wrote:

> --- jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us wrote:
[...]
> > The correct invocation of find in this case is:
> >
> > [root@localhost /] # find . -name '-*' -exec rm {}
> > \;

> > Hm... or will you just kick yourself? :)
> >
> > Don't do that... Unix makes ever so much sense AFTER
> > you understand it...
> > unfortunately, that doesn't help much before you do.
> >

> {Thump, thump, thump.}
>
> What's that sound?  Jan kicking himself.

Ow, ow, ow!

> The man pages for find in the -exec section says that
> sometimes you can avoid problems from the shell by
> quoting the commands.  Guess this was wrong.

Not _exactly_... sometimes it helps to quote individual arguments, or even
the command. It is just that the command to be invoked has to be separate
from the arguments.  The semicolon is needed to mark the end of the exec
arguments.

> Thanks, all.  I am learning, bit by bit.

Pretty soon you'll pass nybbles and nybbles get up to bytes and bytes.

*runs for cover*