Re: [vox-tech] self-appointed DNS server

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] self-appointed DNS server
  • From: jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.MAPSus
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 11:48:42 -0800

On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, Nicole Carlson wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> So network connectivity mostly works on my laptop.  HTTP works, but
> other protocols are inexplicably not working.  I can't ssh to or even ping
> isun.ucdavis.edu--host unreachable each time.  "DNS woes?" thought I to
> myself.  So I checked.  Now things get weird:
> 1) my resolv.conf has primary DNS 204.127.129.1 and secondary
> 204.127.160.1 [1]
> 2) tail /var/log/messages |grep pppd shows primary DNS 12.102.240.2 and
> secondary 204.127.160.1
> 3) Ergo, the primary DNS servers don't match.  What gives?  Whence this
> interloper, and why did it appoint itself primary DNS server?  How do I
> fix it?

Guess: perhaps you have an "ms-dns" or "dns-addr" entry in your ppp
options file (usually /etc/ppp/options)?  You may have to track down the
invocation of pppd in order to confirm that you have found all of the
configuration files that could change this.  "man pppd"

> And, most importantly, does that account for my inability to ping hosts
> that I know are up?

Not if you use ip numbers (ping 169.237.105.35). There are routing table
problems (with masks or static route to another interface, for example)
that can create "holes" in your ability to route.  If "route -n" looks
strange, post it.  Also, bad firewall rules can create similar holes, but
that is not so common on a new install.

If it is a dns problem, then yes, it _could_.

BTW: Does traceroute stop immediately?

> Thanks...
>
> --nicole twn
> [1] These aren't UCD's DNS servers because I'm in San Jose bumming my
> parents' connection.  Yes, they're correct--I double-checked.

You _could_ continue to use UCD's servers for a short while... it just
adds a few milliseconds to each lookup, assuming the routing is working.