Re: [vox-tech] a vi question

* Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> [001123 16:10], about

:1. Debian has elvis-tiny, which I believe is smaller than regular elvis.

Huh, I didn't think I had any elvis variants installed, guess I do, heh. ;)

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     wheel       66576 Apr 21  2000 /usr/bin/elvis-tiny*

:2. Have you considered the size of the libraries? They are a
:substantial part of the size of the complete package. On my machine,
:some sizes: 936k    /usr/bin/vim (linked against libncurses.so.5) 468k
:/lib/libncurses.so.4.2 404k    /lib/libncurses.so.5.0
:
:Please note that comparing sizes of binaries between IA32 and other platforms
:is fraught with peril! RISC code (such as the alpha code from my machine
:above) is almost always bigger than CISC code (IA32). A better comparison
:would be Sun vi and Vim on the same SPARC machine (or intel machine if you
:can find an Intel Solaris box).

IA32 Solaris:

-rwxr-xr-x   1 bin      bin       583400 Oct 21  1998 /usr/local/bin/vim*

(from sun freeware I think I got it)

Sparc Solaris:
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     other     789128 Oct  5 17:37 /usr/local/bin/vim

You also need to consider whether the vim is compiled with GUI (x11 in
Unix's case ;) support, which all of the vims I install will have.

I tried using ld on all of these, but I didn't get any libraries, not sure
what the better way to find out what libraries a program is linked against
(that is, a way that will work on Solaris.)
I don't think you can really count curses as part of the install size,
(actually all vis should require curses so you really can't count it), curses
is almost a necessary install.

For fun/info.. IA32 Solaris..

-rw-r--r--   3 bin      bin       741376 Sep  1  1998 /lib/libcurses.a
-rwxr-xr-x   1 bin      bin       407184 Sep  1  1998 /lib/libcurses.so.1*

(On Debian my vim is ~740k, so comparing vim sizes is not the best measure,
since all will have different features compiled in (on top of gui) (and ver))

>-- End of excerpt from Henry House

(We have Solaris x86 boxes because my boss wanted to go with Linux, but it
wasn't cutting it/working out as well as he had hoped/expected.  Next thing
we'll try is FreeBSD (I have no clue how he decided to try FreeBSD, he's
been opposing my efforts to try FreeBSD for production use. ;))

        -Ajay

arg, have to change sig by hand, reply-to still not fixed.. If it's not
going to be fixed it should be removed.

--
Milpitas, ca    ajay@os2man.cjb.net     HempVille, Planet Talarian
                        http://os2man.cjb.net/pictures/