Re: [vox-tech] a vi question

On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 01:14:40PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Nov 2000, Mark Kim wrote:
> that's way too big.  i was looking for something a tenth of that size.

1. Debian has elvis-tiny, which I believe is smaller than regular elvis.

2. Have you considered the size of the libraries? They are a
substantial part of the size of the complete package. On my machine,
some sizes: 936k    /usr/bin/vim (linked against libncurses.so.5) 468k
/lib/libncurses.so.4.2 404k    /lib/libncurses.so.5.0

Please note that comparing sizes of binaries between IA32 and other platforms
is fraught with peril! RISC code (such as the alpha code from my machine
above) is almost always bigger than CISC code (IA32). A better comparison
would be Sun vi and Vim on the same SPARC machine (or intel machine if you
can find an Intel Solaris box).

Example of this:
268k    /lib/libncurses.so.5.0
is the size of ncurses on an IA32 machine (Red Hat 6.1).

--
Henry House