Re: [vox-tech] Application Upgrade Questions

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Application Upgrade Questions
  • From: Mark Kim <mkkim@ucdavisMAPS.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 23:43:16 -0800

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Robert G. Scofield wrote:

> 1)  If you have a program that's been installed by an rpm, and you want
> to upgrade to a new version all you have to do is to get the rpm for the
> newer version and execute the -u option.  But how do you upgrade a
> program that had to be compiled?  Do you have to remove the program
> before compiling and installing the newer version?  Or, will the newer
> version simply over write the older version when it is installed?

Sometimes the README file tells you how to upgrade.  Sometimes the
installation script can tell there's an older version and do what's right
or inform you what to do.  Otherwise I uninstall the old version first,
unless there is a reason not to.

> 2)  Suppose that you have a program that was installed by an rpm, and
> you want to upgrade to a new version, but you want to download a tar
> ball and compile the newer version.  Do you have to remove the older
> program first, or will the compiled version simply over write the old
> rpm version?

I'd remove the old RPM first unless there is a reason not to.

> 3)  Suppose that you have a program that was compiled, and you want to
> upgrade to a new  version, but you want want the new version to be
> installed by an rpm.  Do you have to remove the older version and
> install the rpm by executing the -i option?  Or, can you just leave the
> older version there and execute the -u option on the rpm?

I remove the older version first and install the RPM via -i, unless there
is a reason not to.

Because I don't like to keep track of all these problems, I just stick
with RPMs and try to avoid compiling things myself.  That doesn't always
happen, unfortunately :(

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim