Re: [vox-tech] Re: Install Fest for 11/19/2000

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Re: Install Fest for 11/19/2000
  • From: Jan Wynholds <jcwynholds@MAPSyahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 01:33:31 -0800

> However, I am not able
> to use kppp with my regular login. As you might know
> already, I am just a beginner linux user. I am able
> use kppp only when I login as the root. When I tried
> to open kppp with my regular login, it prompt me to
> type in my root password, after I did that, nothing
> open. I am wondering if you have any suggestionn
> that
> I can make it work for other users other than the
> root
> as well. Could you give me some specific instruction
> since I have a very minimal knowledge in linux.
> Thank
> you so much for your help.
>
> Rob.
Before doing anything, kppp checks if there is a file
named /etc/kppp.allow. If such a file exists, ONLY
users named in this file are allowed to dial out. This
file must be readable by every user (of course NOT
writable). Only login names are recognised, thus you
cannot use UID's in this file. Here's a short example:

/* Begin */

# /etc/kppp.allow
# comment lines like this are ignored,
# as well as empty lines
fred
karl

# I put myself in here :-)
mweilguni

/* END */

In the example above only the users fred, karl and
mweilguni can use kppp to dial out, as well as every
user with a UID of 0. So you don't need to put root in
this file.

--END--

You could also execute the command:

% chmod 4750 /path/to/kppp

But, I think making the /etc/kppp.allow file is a much
better (safer) idea than setting the kppp binary to
SUID.  Hope this helps.

-Jan

P.S.  I really don't know _that_ much, but if I do
know something, then I am happy to help....