Re: [vox-tech] Re: InstallFest

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Re: InstallFest
  • From: Mark Kim <mkMAPSkim@ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:18:21 -0800

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> 2- a system that had previous numerous failed linux installs (not by us).
>    interesting linux user - a 15 year old female high school student.  she
>    wanted to install linux because her friends were picking on her about
>    still having windows.  windows was crashing very 10 minutes on the
>    machine.  mark kim and i determined one of her dim's were bad.

Actually, we weren't sure (at the time) if it was actually the RAM that
was causing the problem because we knew each worked by itself but not
both.  Roland and Jeff later pointed out the problem was probably a bad
slot (a connection problem with the second slot, probably) which made
perfect sense.  The girl's father later came in, we informed him of the
problem, and he went out immediately and got a 128MB RAM :)  Everything
worked great.

I couldn't get the sound to work -- I probably couldn't have gotten it
working so I didn't fiddle with it long.  We got the modem working but she
didn't have an ISP we could use (she uses Juno and AOL, both requires
proprietary software) so we left that alone.

I think it'd be good to have ALSA binaries handy for next IF.  Mandrake
comes with ALSA so it's convenient (hence I prefer Mandrake :) but we were
using Libra because of memory reasons.  Only if we had more memory at the
beginning...!

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim