Re: [vox-tech] c program in linux vs sgi

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 04:16:51AM -0800, jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Qinghua Zhong wrote:
> > 1) when I am running the program in linux, there is a "core" file created,
> > but never happen in sgi. so if I have a big calculation, core is very
> > large and it stop running in linux because of "core dumped".

This means that your program has crashed; the kernel saves a memory image of
the process when it crashed as the file 'core'. You can use the GNU symbolic
debugger (gdb) if your program was compiled with debugging symbols. Gdb can
tell you which signal caused the program to terminate, or to step through its
execution to see where it goes wrong.

Lots of things can cause a program to work fine on IRIX but crash on Linux.
Aren't most SGIs 64-bit? Could be a 32-vs-64-bit problem. Also suspect
endianness problems (IA32 and therefore Linux running on IA32 is
little-endian; most other platforms are big-endian).

--
Henry House