Re: [vox-tech] utter confusion about graphics

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Bill Broadley wrote:

> > However, apparently XFree lacks the GLX extension (the OpenGL extension
> > needed by GLUT... and maybe OpenGL calls themselves, too, I haven't
> > figured that part out yet.)
>
> GLUT is part of mesa.  I.e. whatever it needs is available under linux.
==8<--
> In any case GLUT is definitely available as a part of Mesa.  I've
> compiled 3d applications that require it.

I didn't say it Linux didn't have GLUT.  I said GLX isn't seem to be
implemented in XFree.  My reasoning was that GLUT probably translated
everything to standard X calls instead of using GLX extensions so it can
run on servers without GLX extensions.

However, upon reading upon the subject, it seems that GLUT doesn't use GLX
after all.  I guess I got confused because the section on GLUT and GLX
were right next to each other for no apparent reason.

PS: In case there's still any ambiguity, Linux has everything -- GL, GLU,
GLUI, and GLUT.  As I've said -- Mesa rules :)

---
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/
PGP key available upon request.