Re: [vox-tech] wget question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] wget question
  • From: Ted Deppner <ted@MAPSpsyber.com>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 10:09:47 -0800

On Sat, Nov 11, 2000 at 08:53:24AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i tried:
>
>       wget -r http://www.quakeiii.com/files/ftp.cgi?dir=maps
>       wget -r http://www.quakeiii.com/files/file.cgi?file=maps
>
> which doesn't work, and i suppose it shouldn't since it's expecting
> arguments to a cgi program, not URLS, and wget only gets URLS.

wget will get anything.  by default, it only follows straight URLs.  You
can turn on behavior to follow things that look like cgi.

I automated mp3.com grabbing to grab all the mp3s for an artist.  Through
lots of perl regexs and the like, I send the following url to wget, and it
works just fine.

http://chooser.mp3.com/cgi-bin/play/play.cgi?email=a@b.com&id=256362&orig_url=http://chooser.mp3.com/cgi-bin/play/play.cgi/AAIAQmrpAwDABG5vcm1QBAAAAFJrIQAAUQIAAABD1UDiOM64UUPAXBGPCZbmw6X7W_k-/esque1.mp3

Note that this results in a 302 redirect from mp3.com, which wget handles
perfectly.

quakeiii.com may also be checking for a "valid" user client...  so turning
on the option to look like a Mozilla browser may be necessary.

wget -m (mirror behavior) may also help.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/