Re: [vox-tech] Adding linux computer to network

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Lee Dutter wrote:

>     First I would like to thank everyone who answered my post. It has
> given me a lot to play with and I am learning a little with each step.

>     Second I thought I would tell you a little about my network and
> what my ultimate goal is. My network right now consists of two win98SE
> machines, one that has two nics, one nic connected to my dsl
> connection the other to my network with internet connection sharing
> enabled. The home network side has the IP address of 192.168.0.1 and
> subnet mask 255.255.255.0. The second box has IP address 192.168.0.3
> (assigned by first). What I would like to do is add the linux machine
> and give it access to the internet through the win98 machine.

The "assigned by" (first computer) part means DHCP protocol.

>     Third, to let you know what I have done so far and where I'm at. I
> ran linuxconf and assigned the IP address of 192.168.0.5

This should work, unless your "first" machine hands out that ip to your
"second" machine, since your "first"s DHCP server hasn't been told to
reserve that ip for your linux machine.  I don't know what logic M$ uses
when it hands out ip addresses.

An alternative is to use dhclient to request an ip from the dhcp server.

An even better alternative is to setup the Linux machine as your router,
but you will probably want to firewall it when you do that.

> and mask
> 255.255.255.0, and default gateway 192.168.0.1. I noticed the kernel
> module (nic driver?) was set at ne2k-pci and left it at that. When I
> clicked on Act/Changes I got a window that said "The state of the
> system is not in sync with the current/updated configuration". Then
> after clicking on "Preview what has to be done" I get a list of three
> things.

I haven't used linuxconf.

> 1) "Changing permissions of file /home/ftp/pub from 42755 to 42555"
>      (I have no idea how to do that)

As root:

chmod 42555 /home/ftp/pub

> 2) "Executing: /etc/rc5.d/S10network reload

/etc/rc5.d/s10network reload

> 3) "Executing: /etc/rc5.d/S50inet restart

/etc/rc5.d/S50inet restart

> So that's were I am at this point, any further advice would be wholly
> appreciated

You might want to review some diagnostics if things still don't work:

 lsmod       # tells you which nic drivers are installed
 ifconfig    # tells you which nics have been configured
 route -n    # tells you which routes have been setup
 less /etc/nsswitch.conf # tells how network and host names will be
             # looked up
 less /etc/resolv.conf # tells which nameservers should be used, assuming
             # resolv.conf has "dns" under "hosts"
 less /etc/hosts # tells names of specific hosts that you don't want to
             # ask DNS for (such as the names of the other machines on
             # your LAN).