Re: [vox-tech] attention: voodoo3 owners

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Micah Cowan wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 10:04:17AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > dear fellow voodoo3 owners,
> >
> > the driver for your card will NOT work with 2.4 kernels.  not even if
> > you compile it from the source code.
> >

> As a voodoo3 3000 owner, I'm somewhat disillusioned.  I bought 3dfx
> because I had heard that the voodoo cards were the best-supported.  I
> find myself fairly skeptical of that now, because there are no working
> DRI drivers for voodoo3

i thought DRI was supported for voodoo3 on xfree86 4.0.1?

> On the plus side, the card is *extremely* fast, and the drivers are
> open-source - something *very* uncommon in the industry, but an
> excellent precedent - especially when all their competetors realize
> that a larger portion of Linux users buy 3dfx accelarator cards for
> such reasons.  I think the rest will smarten up eventually.

yes, i agree.  i understand that nvidia isn't completely to blame for their
closed source drivers.  however, they licensed closed source hardware, and
have to pay the consequences.

for the record, sorry joe, i deplore the decision of va linux to use geforce
video cards.  you can squeeze maybe 10, maybe 20 fps out of them over the
voodoo 4, but the voodoo 5 is comprable, supported and open sourced.  and
when you're talking about frame rates above 75fps, who cares anyhow?

we should reward good behavior and punish bad behavior.  our dollars are
the reward, and lack thereof is the punishment.

heck, if it weren't for 3dfx's open source policy, i wouldn't have had a
video card after i updated my system a few days ago!!

i'd be SOL if i had a geforce right now.

pete