January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Re-assigning Partitions

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Re-assigning Partitions
  • From: Gudmundur Bjarnason <slries@dcMAPSn.davis.ca.us>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 11:02:21 -0800

On Thu, 02 Nov 2000, Patrick wrote:
> Well, here's the issue.  When I first installed Linux on my system,
> I partitioned my 6.4 GB hard drive to contain:  /boot, /, and my swap
> file.  I then partitioned my 25GB hard drive to contain /usr (why I
> don't know just bear with me :) ).  My question is, as I install
> programs (VMware, Star Office, various utilities) am I going to wihs
> that I paritioned the 25GB elsewhere?  If so, how do I fix this short of
> things.

I don't really understand your problem, (seems to me your partitions are just
fine and that you have plenty of space, correct me if I'm wrong!) so I might
not be able to help you with your specific problem, but what I do know is that
there is a nifty program called parted which you can obtain from
"ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/parted", and "ftp.metalab.unc.edu/somwhere I can't
remember/parted". I used that to resize my one ext2 system the other day. It
also has a bootdisk which gives you the ability to resize your bootdrive since
the drive has to be unmounted, (a handy one for me since I only have one disk).
Anyway, i hope this is helpful and good luck. Just remember to backup your
important stuff beforehand.

On other notes, what is VMware?

Gummi.

"Inspirations sleet through the universe continuously. Their destination, as if
they cared, is the right mind in the place at the right time. They hit the
right neuron, there's a chain reaction, and a little while later someone is
blinking foolishly in the TV lights and wondering how the hell he came up with
the idea of pre-sliced bread in the first place."