Re: [vox-tech] Re-assigning Partitions

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Re-assigning Partitions
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@bMAPSelial.ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 15:31:13 -0800

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Patrick B. Lickiss wrote:

patrick, no doubt you'll get a lot of answers, but here's one more.

> Well, here's the issue.  When I first installed Linux on my system,
> I partitioned my 6.4 GB hard drive to contain:  /boot, /, and my swap
> file.  I then partitioned my 25GB hard drive to contain /usr (why I
> don't know just bear with me :) ).  My question is, as I install
> programs (VMware, Star Office, various utilities) am I going to wihs
> that I paritioned the 25GB elsewhere?

programs like staroffice (and i suspect vmware as well) will install
anywhere you want them to be.

a 25GB /usr makes sense, as long as /usr/local is underneath is too.

> re-formatting and re-installing?  Does anyone know if programs like Star
>
> Office and VMware install in the /usr directory?

how did you get staroffice?   it should've asked you where to install the
base system!

> or is it the /home
> directory?  Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

no need to repartition.  there's a utility called ext2resize.  as with
anything like this, backup your data and important data files like
XF86Config and bookmarks.html before doing something like that.

it sounds like you should be good as it is...

pete