Re: [vox-tech] scanner

henry, thanks for the guidance.   here's what i found:

the best scanners, at least on paper and when price is considered, is epson.
here are two scanners i'm looking at:

Perfection 1200S/U      Perfection 1640
list $299 ($200)        list $299
color: 36               36
scan area: 8.5x11.7     scan area: 8.5x11.7
res: 1200x2400          res: 1600x3200
SCSI/USB                USB/SCSI
optical density: 3.0D   optical density: 3.2D
sane supported sane     not sane supported?

according to the sane hw page, the 1640 isn't supported.  but i wonder.  it
IS a perfection model, and all the lower perfections are supported.  i've
sent an email out the the maintainer of the page, asking whether the 1640
isn't mentioned because nobody's tested it or if it really doesn't work with
the perfection sane drivers.

doubt i'll get a reply.   :(   have to do some more digging...

pete