Re: [vox-tech] scanner

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] scanner
  • From: Henry House <hajhouseMAPS@houseag.com>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 16:43:51 -0700

On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 05:40:45AM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i'm about to get on the web and do some research on scanners.   i'd like to
> get a scsi scanner- a nice one.   i know that things like dpi is important,
> but i don't know much else (nor how high a dpi is considered good).

600 dpi is usual nowdays and this is plenty unless you are doing professional
publishing or film scanning. But do check to see whether the res. is real or
interpolated (i.e., they took the actual res and doubled it). Probably more
important than resolution is color fidelity, which will be better in the
models that are marketed to professionals than in those for home use.

> does anyone have websites they like for doing research like this?  what i
> usually do is just go to pricewatch and start reading specs off of dealer's
> websites.  if there's a website that has a nice overview of the important
> things to look for, that would be great.

Did you look at the SANE hw support page?
http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html

> also, since deskspace is at a premium, i was wondering if there's such a
> thing as upright scanners?  can they scan books?

I doubt it.

--
Henry House