Re: [vox-tech] help - dsl

On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> ok, now for the dumb question.   suppose you had a phone hooked up to a DSL
> line, with no splitters or filters.  what would you hear?

I think you aren't supposed to tell whether a telephone line has a DSL
activated or not, so I guess you don't hear anything but a dialtone.  I
think the idea is that you don't have to synchronize the installation of
the filters with the DSL activation at the central office.

Pacbell messed up our hookup, so we have separated voice and data lines
(three wires -- one shared between the two).  When I hook up a telephone
to the data line, I don't hear anything (unless I have my DSL modem hooked
up, in which case I hear negotation tones).

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/