Re: [vox-tech] embarrasing question about debian

Re: [vox-tech] embarrasing question about debian

hi cam!

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000, Cam wrote:

> I think if you want 4.0, you need to go directly to xfree86
> (ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/current/binaries), download 4.0, and do the
> installation directly.

bleah; i can almost see myself working feverishly to backoff the changes
once i realize something's not right...   :)

> Alternatively, you can download all the files,
> debianize them (I haven't done this myself, but the instructions seem
> fairly clear), and then install that way.  The Debian packaging system
> looks after upgrading, removing, etc.  You shouldn't have to remove
> anything yourself.

that sounds good!   can you point me to documentation on how to debianize
files?  i assume this means something along the lines of "install via
tarball, but make dselect/apt recognize the change".   if so, that's great!

> In Debian, if you want to upgrade, you use apt-get upgrade xxxx.
> Apt-get accesses what is in your deb.conf file and makes the necessary
> connection.

ok, i assume this requires "woody" entries in sources.list?   as ted pointed
out (i wasn't thinking), having potato and woody in that file at the same
time is a bad idea, but if i changed everything to woody...

pete