Re: [vox-tech] embarrasing question about debian

Ted Deppner wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 12:53:52PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > ok, i'm still relatively new to debian.  how do i upgrade X to 4.0?
>
> > 3. uninstall 3.3.6 (how do i do this without uninstalling all the packages
> > that depend on X?  dselect seems to automatically take care of dependencies,
> > which is not what i want if i uninstall X).
> >
> > 4. install 4.0
>
> I'm not certain 4.0 is in woody.  As I understood it wasn't in woody
> yet... see the X Strike Force page (should be a link in your potato
> Netscape drop down bar).

I think if you want 4.0, you need to go directly to xfree86
(ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/current/binaries), download 4.0, and do the
installation directly.  Alternatively, you can download all the files,
debianize them (I haven't done this myself, but the instructions seem
fairly clear), and then install that way.  The Debian packaging system
looks after upgrading, removing, etc.  You shouldn't have to remove
anything yourself.

In Debian, if you want to upgrade, you use apt-get upgrade xxxx.
Apt-get accesses what is in your deb.conf file and makes the necessary
connection.

Cam