[vox-tech] Losing My Mind a.k.a. Modem Setup

  • Subject: [vox-tech] Losing My Mind a.k.a. Modem Setup
  • From: Patrick Lickiss <pblickiMAPSss@ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:18:57 -0700

Well, after some work I finally got RedHat up and running.  Now my new
problem(they never stop do they?):  How to get my modem set-up?  I started
this set-up and found out the hard way that I have a winmodem, which, as I
understand it, will run under Linux when Hell has frozen solid.  After
discovering this, I proceeded to go online and buy a hardware modem(PCI
since I don't think anyone really makes ISA anything anymore, and if they
do I can't find it).  Well, it arrived today and I got it in my ox only to
find out that Linux can't find it.  I'm running RH7.0 which uses kernel
2.4.2(I think that's right), which, as I understand it, should have PCI
support.  Any idea what I'm doing wrong?  The only thing I can think of is
that I didn't boot the system with nothing in the slot first, which I'm
about to go home and try.  But if that doesn't fix it I'm stuck.  Any help
would be appreciated.  Thanks a lot guys.

Patrick

P.S. I thought of another quick fix...DSL, network cards I can set-up, oh
wait, nevermind, I'm 500 feet too far :)  Oh well.