Re: [vox-tech] Redhat graphic login

>   I just installed Redhat 6.2 with the graphic login enabled. I know that
> we can use the command line login prompt to login as that's how the Linux
> boxes work on some computers in my school. My question is, how could I
> change the graphic login to command line login? I hope I don't need to
> reinstall Linux... ;-)

First off, you can easily jump to one of the text login consoles by
hitting [CTRL]+[ALT]+[Fn], where [Fn] is a Function key, [F1] through [F6].
(By default, a normal Linux installation has 6 virtual text consoles).
Use [F7] to get back to graphics.

Now, to actually _answer_ your question, you'll want to edit your system's
"inittab" file, usually stored in "/etc/".  You can find it easily by
running:

  locate inittab

In that configuration file (open it with something like the "vi" editor
while logged in as 'root'), there's a line that'll look like this:

# The default runlevel.
id:5:initdefault:

On a RedHat box, 5 is the "X login by default" runlevel.
You'll want to change the '5' to a '3', which is the "normal" runlevel.
(5 and 3 are the same, except 5 runs XDM or GDM or KDM, the login and
display manager - ie, X is running when you boot up :))

You can then reboot to try it out... Or, to switch back and forth between
runlevels (BE CAREFUL!), you can issue the command:

  # telinit 3

or:

  # telinit 5

as root.  After running one of these, wait a few moments for the system
to catch up (switch completely) before trying "telinit" again. ;)