Re: [vox-tech] I can't be out of space; I have inodes left!

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] I can't be out of space; I have inodes left!
  • From: Harry Souders <gnuMAPSlinux@rosecomputing.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 20:50:53 -0700

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 08:30:38PM -0700, Nicole Carlson wrote:
> I'm trying to delete /redhat/* and use that partition for /home , a
> brilliant idea somewhat hampered by mv's reluctance to move directories
> across filesystems.  I'll think of something eventually. [2]
> But thanks for all the help!

Here's a couple of suggestions for the partition:

Borrow Partition Magic from someone and resize the partitions (maybe
FIPS would work?)

One interesting way to copy files, which I have not tried, is to use a
piped tar. Brian Lavender had an example:

  tar cf - /var | (cd /newdisk/var/; tar xfp -)

I 'think' copying the file structure over this way preserves the file
bits (rwx & ownership).

Btw, if you come across a nifty GUI program that shows directory/file
sizes please pass it on to the list. I am sure there are X11 programs
out there, but I have not seen any good ones that do this.