January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] I can't be out of space; I have inodes left!

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] I can't be out of space; I have inodes left!
  • From: Henry House <hajhouse@houseagMAPS.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 11:31:27 -0700

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 11:31:12AM -0700, Nicole Carlson wrote:
> I'm trying to install 2.4.0test9 (upgrading from 2.2.13; figured 'hey, as
> long as I'm upgrading...'), which of course required updated versions of a
> few utils, including, on my system, binutils.  So I downloaded the
> behemoth and am now banging into a bunch of "no space left on
> device" errors.  My HD is 9G, and I had no idea I was running low.  My
> questions are threefold:

Now Pete has had good experiences with a recent 2.4 kernel, but I've also
heard (from Ted T'so's 2.4 jobs list) that there are still drivers in 2.4
that eat filesystems! Beware!

> 1) du reports that lots of space is taken up by stuff in ~/.kde ,
> especially .kde/share/ and ./kde/share/dev .  What happens to me if I nuke
> .kde/*?  I'm running windowmaker, and none of the files have been
> modified since last year.

If you don't care about KDE you can safely nuke .kde. Probably a lot of
useless cache files in there.

> 2) StarOffice has a lot of useless-sounding stuff, particularly under
> /gallery and /help .  Has anyone tried to prune their StarOffice
> installation, and, if so, did it keep working?  (I'd try it myself, except
> that I'm on a 56k connection and can't really download another copy if
> things go awry.)

There's probably some clip art installed; that can go for sure. The logod
library has StarOffice 5.2 on cd I believe, and I'd be happy to download 5.2
or 6.0 for you if that's the issue.

> 3) Any tools out there to keep an eye on my disk space situation for me?

Don't know of any, sorry.

--
Henry House