Re: [vox-tech] Flat Panel and Linux

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Jay Strauss wrote:

> This doesn't make any sense, especially with my setup.  How could I already have
> an instance of an X window running?  I reboot all the time (switching disks,
> etc...).

You can make X run by default.  But generally you *see* X start if X is
supposed to run by default.  Apparently this is a situation I've never
seen before.  So let's do a little guess work.

I'm going to guess that X setting isn't correct, although I doubt
it.  Your /etc/X11/XF86Config file should have the following sections,
that looks like this:

   Section "Monitor"
      ... blah blah ...
   EndSection

   Section "Screen"
      ... blah blah ...
   EndSection

There may be several Monitor and Screen sections, but only one is actually
used.  I want you to try modifying these sections, but since we may break
something, make a copy of the XF86Config file first.

Now, as I mentioned before, only one Monitor and Screen section is
used.  You first have to figure out which section is used and which is
discarded.  I'm not quite sure how to do this, so if I were you then I'd
just modify all of them.

Anyway, modify the monitor section to look like this:

   Section "Monitor"
        Identifier ...whatever_you_had_here_before...
        VendorName ...whatever_you_had_here_before...
        ModelName  ...whatever_you_had_here_before...
        HorizSync 31.5-60 # guesses
        VertRefresh 30-80 # guesses
        Mode "1024x768"
           # D: 78.653 MHz, H: 59.949 kHz, V: 75.694 Hz
           DotClock 78.654
           HTimings 1024 1056 1184 1312
           VTimings 768 772 776 792
           Flags "-HSync" "-VSync"
        EndMode
   EndSection

I know the monitor section is really long.  Delete everything else in the
section.

Now modify the screen section to look like this:

   Section "Screen"
        Driver ...whatever_you_had_here_before...
        Device ...whatever_you_had_here_before...
        Monitor ...whatever_you_had_here_before...
        DefaultColorDepth 32
        Subsection "Display"
                Depth 32
                Modes "default"
                ViewPort 0 0
        EndSubsection
   EndSection

Reboot, start X, see if it works.  It did for that other guy on Slashdot,
so hopefully it'll work for you.

If you're in doubt, send me your XF86Config and I'll edit it and send it
back to you.

> Point 1.  Wouldn't it use my newly edited XFree86config file when I start X, or
> are you saying I have to do something special on the command line to tell it to
> use that file (i.e. like editing lilo.conf and then having to #lilo)

No, nothing special.  There is a default XF86Config file, which is in
/etc/X11/XF86Config on RedHat by default.

> Point 2.  I haven't tried this, I'm starting a new contract on Mon (I'm an
> Oracle DBA) and I have to learn how to use Oracle's new backup and recovery
> utility.

Ouch...

-Mark

---