Re: [vox-tech] Brand New Install

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, Patrick Lickiss wrote:

> I load X-Windows, it stays stuck at some weird resolution where I can only
> see the upper left hand corner of the screen.

Hmm... can't help you there.

> Also, the UCD PPP How-To,
> which appears to have been hosted by Pete on his old physics page, no
> longer exists.

   1. With RedHat, run netcfg.
   2. Select "Names"
   3. Set the hostname and domain to something reasonable
   4. Set name servers to "169.237.250.250" and "169.237.1.250",
      one on each line.
   5. Click "Save"

   6. Select "Interfaces"
   7. Click "Add"
   8. Select "PPP"
   9. Enter the phone number (754-7720)
   A. Check "Use PAP authentication"
   B. Type in your login name and password.
   C. Click "Advanced"
   D. Check "Allow any user to (de)activate interface
   E. Set line speed to 57600 for 56K modem
   F. Set modem Port
   G. Click "OK" and save everything.
   H. Exit

   I. Restart network by typing "/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart"
   J. Start network connection by typing "/sbin/ifup ppp0".
      You can do this as a regular user or root.  This is also the
      only thing you'll need to do in the future to connect to UCD.
      To disconnect, type "/sbin/ifdown ppp0"

> My DVD drive is a Creative PC-DVD, with
> a Dxr3 decoder card.

Hey~ I have that too!  Supposedly you can watch DVD movies on it but you
have to install bunch of things and it's still in beta so I haven't
installed them yet.  Hopefully it'll become part of the standard dist in
the future.

> My printer is an HP LaserJet 1100, which I have
> never been able to get working in Linux.

Hey~ I have that too, again!  Do this:

   1. Run "printtool"
   2. Click "add"
   3. Select "Local Printer" and click "OK"
   4. You can let printtool autodetect the port, or select the
      port your printer is attached to.
   5. Click "Select" next to "Input Filter"
   6. Select the HP LaserJet 4/5/6 serial, non-Postscript
   7. Select 600x600 resolution, letter papersize
   8. Select "Fix stair-stepping text" and "fast text printing"
   9. Save and quit everything

You got a printer!

Let me know if you want me to come over to help.  It's been a while I've
seen you.  Maybe we can do lunch :)

---
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/