January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] my hub just died

On 6 Oct 2000, at 15:16, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

Date sent:              Fri, 6 Oct 2000 15:16:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:                   Peter Jay Salzman <p@belial.ucdavis.edu>
To:                     vox-tech@franz.mother.com
Subject:                Re: [vox-tech] my hub just died
Send reply to:          vox-tech@lists.mother.com

> ok, i just looked at switches, and it looks like the cheapest option is
> still something like 50 or 60 bucks.  i never really understood the
> difference between switches and hubs.
>
> i'm about to make the purchase, but before i do, can you explain the
> difference for me?

I think Ted Deppner summed it nicely. hubs are simply multiplexers.
switches actually direct traffic between only the source and destination.

In my case I have a 100mb hub which was cheep, and when I bought it I
figured that now my 2 machines at home will communicate at the highest
bandwith available (with out goint to fiber). This was not the case. I ran
some monitoring and found that I am only using about 50% of available
bandwith when doing large file transfers. Also I was limited because my
laptop only has a 10mb PCMCIA NIC. It will not work on that hub. I had to
put a second nic in my linux server and add some routing and change some
ipchains rules for it to work. Hind sight being what it is, I would get a 10mb
hub next time. My home net is more of a toy and learning tool than
anything. Speed is not that important in my enviroment.

BTW sorry for my mixup on RJ-??. I have a hard time remembering the
numbers.

-Doug