Re: [vox-tech] my hub just died

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 03:16:05PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> doug,
>
> thanks for restoring my faith in my wanning memory...  :-)
>
> > I have some no name, computer show special that's been up and running for
> > a couple of years now. I think that as long as you stay with a hub (as
> > opposed to a switch) it's all about the same. I can see brand loyalty when
> > you move up to an intelligent device (like a switch) but then your going to
> > spend more.
>
> ok, i just looked at switches, and it looks like the cheapest option is
> still something like 50 or 60 bucks.  i never really understood the
> difference between switches and hubs.
>
> i'm about to make the purchase, but before i do, can you explain the
> difference for me?

Switches support full duplex mode and dedicated bandwidth between nodes.
Forex, the max transfer rate between two machines is 200mbps and the tranfer
rate of unrelated connections on the same net is unaffected. Also there is no
possibility of packet sniffing on the local net! 10mbps devices do not slow
down the entire net.

With hubs there is a single shared 100mbps or 10mbps channel; all connections
must share that bandwidth. If any devices do not support fast ethernet the
entire network is confined to 10mbps.

--
Henry House