Re: [vox-tech] Flat Panel and Linux

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Jay Strauss wrote:

> Distro  - RedHat v6.2  Kernel 2.2.14-5.0
> Does X work - Is this a trick question?  No.
>               I can't configure X to work with my LCD. With my LCD installed
>               I can't even do RH install in graphics mode, I have to install
>               in text.

I meant "does X work with your _video_card_".  The first task is to get
the video card working.  The monitor can be worked out later.

OK, since X isn't working, let's get the video card working first.  First,
you need:

   1. A CRT monitor (borrow one somewhere, perhaps from another computer)
   2. Updated X (I don't know if XFree86 3.0.4 supports G400).
      Download the updated RPMs for XFree (Anything that starts with
      "X..." and anything with "MGA" in it).  I go to ftp.freesoftware.com
      for RedHat RPMs.

Then, you should:

   1. Install the updated RPMs.
   2. Configure X by running Xconfigurator or whatever tool you use.
      Specify the Matrox G400 or Millennium as your driver.
   3. Start X.

Check to make sure this works.  If it works, we can proceed to configure
the LCD monitor.  (Next e-mail :)

> Boot loader = lilo.
>
> Interesting facts (possibly unrelated and misleading):  The LCD is a 15 inch
> diagonal, when I attach it to a NT machine, the blue boot screen is centered and
> only about 5x8 inches.  When I attach to a When the LCD is attached to a linux
> box the shell (text) occupies the exact same area.  As if there is something
> inherent about the monitor that tells apps that it is only (approx) 25 lines
> tall.

Video cards can be placed in different "modes".  The blue screen of death
and the Linux text console are both in "text mode", so video card is
placed in the "text mode".  The LCD monitor, apparently, is able to
display the text mode only at that size.

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/