Re: [vox-tech] Flat Panel and Linux

On Wed, Oct 04, 2000 at 05:21:31PM -0700, Mark Kim wrote:
[list of postulates snipped]
> I *think* that's what the message is saying, but I'm not entirely
> sure.  You might be able to do it without all this hassle, since it sounds
> like the guy in the message was also trying to get his video card to work,
> and that's why he needed to enable framebuffer and all that (in which case
> you just need to do #4 above and restart X.)

I doubt some of thes conclusions. AFAIK, many (most?) flat panels are
fixed-sync, fixed-res devices from the video card's perspective. And as
long as you use EXACTLY the right modelines in the conffile, you can use a
regular X server. (I use non-fbdev X servers on my Mac notebook and my Alpha,
both of which have fixed-sync monitors).

--
Henry House