Re: [vox-tech] Flat Panel and Linux

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Jay Strauss wrote:

> Mark et al,
>
> I'd like to come to the install fest and get some help but, I live in Chicago
> (but I like this mailing list better :@))

Oh... IC.

> I'm using a Matrox G400 card, linux does recognize it. Because when I run
> Xconfigurator it probes the card, and knows it's a G400.
>
> When I do a rpm --version XFree86, I get RPM version 3.0.4 (maybe I should
> upgrade (but I couldn't find the RPMs))

Hmm... an upgrade would be advisable.  Go to a distribution site for your
Linux dist, and grab the update RPMs.

> I got the impression (from the XFree86 page) that frame buffer was a substitute
> for XF86Setup and xvidtune.  And as you say, I'd have to compile framebuffer
> support into my kernel in order to use it.
>
> points 2,3,4 kinda go over my head.

Maybe we can do this over e-mail, though it may take a while to get it
working.  First, a few questions:

  1. What distribution + version are you using?
  2. Does your X work?
  3. What's your boot loader?

> What's IF and LERT????

IF = Installfest.  Bring your computers to an IF, they take care of
everything.

LERT = Linux Emergency Response Team.  We go to your place to take care of
everything.  Obviously limited to local area :)

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/mark/