Re: [vox-tech] NIC cards and Autodetection

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 08:30:08AM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> Why are some cards autodetected (i.e when performing "checking for new hardware"
> during boot) and some are not?
>
> If you have 2 cards, each a different brand.  Will only one be autodetected?

Maybe. I don't know if things have changed, but with two different cards
in the past, linux would probe and stop after finding the first card. I
had this happen with two different PCI NICs. I heard someone say that it
was set up this way to prevent lockups and such by having linux probing
too much for hardware.

> How would I make a card be auto detected?

Sorry, don't know. If you have to of the same type of cards (say two PCI
tulip NICs) then linux will usually pick both up.

What I did in the case of the different cards was remove the card that
was autodetected and rebooted. The other card was then detected. I then
put a few lines in /etc/conf.modules so that both cards had the
appropriate drivers loaded.

With RedHat's hardware tool, and OpenLinux's hardware tool you can use
this method and in all likely get both cards set up.