[vox-tech] samba question

  • Subject: [vox-tech] samba question
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@beliaMAPSl.ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 15:09:35 -0700

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 15:09:21 -0700
From: owner-vox@lists.mother.com
To: owner-vox@lists.lugod.org
Subject: BOUNCE vox@lists.lugod.org:    Non-member submission from [Eric
    Engelhard <ekengelhard@sagresdiscovery.com>]

My new workplace is windows dominated. I just set up a couple of samba
servers. I have no problem logging on to each samba server from my Linux
boxes (using smbclient), but when I try to do so from either a Win98 or
Win2000 box I get a dialog box requesting a network password. I have
username and passwords matched on both Linux and windows accounts, but
none of the passwords I enter seem to function.

1. Am I missing something obvious?
2. How does windows verify its own sharing passwords?

As an aside, I have to support Outlook and am faced with either A)
running and Exchange server, or B) running OpenMail. Anyone had success
with the latter?

Eric

--
Eric K. Engelhard, Ph.D.