Re: [vox-tech] Perl: setting default input channel?

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Perl: setting default input channel?
  • From: miMAPScah@cowanbox.com
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:21:43 -0700

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 12:18:22PM -0700, Mark Kim wrote:
> During the Perl talk, Micah talked about how one can set the default
> output channel in Perl.  I can't remember if he talked about setting the
> default input channel, but I can't seem to find out how to do it in
> Perl.  Is there a way?
>
> ---
> Mark K. Kim
> http://www.cbreak.org/mark/
> PGP key available upon request

No, because there are no reading methods which can be used with a default.
Whereas, in output, you can use functions like print without specifying
the filehandle, input methods always require you to specify the handle,
even if it's STDIN (the exception would be while (<>) loops).  The most
common method of reading is in fact just an operator one applies to
filehandles.

The closest thing you could do would be to reopen STDIN to something else,
like:

open (STDIN, "<some_other_file.txt");

If you wanted to revert to the /real/ STDIN, do this:

open (STDIN, "<-");

Hope that helps.

-Micah