Re: [vox-tech] moving an HD

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] moving an HD
  • From: Jeff Newmiller <MAPSjdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 09:36:49 -0700

On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, William Kendrick wrote:

> I have an old P133 which I'm not sure what I'm going to do with
> (_maybe_ a fileserver, but more likely just a router / X term).
>
> It's got its original 2GB drive as well as a 10GB drive which I recently
> wiped clean (I backed up the 721MBs that was worth keeping over to my
> newer box, which has a 12 or 14GB drive in it).
>
> Anyway, I'd like to move the HD over, but I forget what all I need to do.
>
> Of course, the obvious stuff is:
>
>   1. Shut down new box
>   2. Unplug power
>   3. Remove case
>   4. Connect spare 10GB drive to IDE cable inside

 4a. determine whether you are adding it as the second drive on that
     IDE connector, if so, make sure the jumper is set for slave operation
 4b. carefully note which position the drive is in:
     IDE 0 master = hda
           slave  = hdb
         1 master = hdc
           slave  = hdd
     so you don't accidentally format the wrong drive :)

 5. connect power

> but at this point, I don't know what else I need to do.  I'm sure it
> has to do with fsck and mke2fs??

6. assuming you have it connected to IDE0S, use "fdisk /dev/hdb" to
   insure the partitions are set the way you want them.

7a. Format each partition with mke2fs , e.g.  "mke2fs /dev/hdb1"
7b. if you are paranoid about the disk's reliability, use
    "badblocks -w -o badblockfile /dev/hdb1" BEFORE using mke2fs,
    and then use the -l option on mke2fs to avoid using those
    blocks.  This is probably overkill for fixed disks, but zip drives
    and floppies probably should be checked.

8.  make mount points and mount! (man fstab)

(fsck is used to verify the integrity of the format information...
generally only needed after the partition has been abandoned by a power
failure with updates in progress lost in RAM, or after enough time has
elapsed that blocks may have dropped bits...)