Re: [vox-tech] very burning questions....

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> dear all,
>
> 1. how much data?
>
> i know a typical CD holds something like 650 or 680 MB.  i also know that
> there's some overhead in the iso9660 filesystem.  so the maximum capacity of
> a cd is uninteresting when compared to "how much of my data can i fit onto a
> cd?".  has anybody done tests to see what this maximum is?

"not I" said the friendly dog to the hen...

... but I think it is partly a limit of the particular media you choose,
and partly the physical limits of motion of the CDRW drive.

> 2. what happens if i go over?
>
> what happens when i go over this limit?  does the data not get written or
> does the cd become toast?

coaster

> 3. question about man mkisofs
>
> according to the man page, the -d option: "omit trailing period from files
> that do not have a period".   what the HECK is that supposed to mean?

Keep in mind that Joliet and Rockridge put long filenames in special
hidden files by definition.  Natively, iso9660 uses 8.3+version number
(like VMS), e.g.  "MYFILE.EXT;1".  A file without an extension would have
a period, though I guess that option would omit the period.

Since we usually depend on Rock Ridge or Joliet filenames, I think that
option would probably not be needed in most cases.  Read: I don't have a
clue why you would want to use it and it hasn't hurt me so far.

> 4. about extensions
>
> so there's the joliet and rockridge extensions.  i'm not considering the el
> torito extension because i'm not terribly interested (yet) in making a
> bootable cd.   which do people use?  what are the advantages/disadvantages
> of each?  i know that joliet allows longer filenames and the rockridge keepsi
> the idea of ownership and permissions on a file.  anything else?  the
> manpage says that rockridge is still bound by 8.3 filenames.

No, ISO9660 is bound by 8.3 filenames. Rock Ridge itself supports long
filenames... that is part of its appeal.  I think RR is better for pure
*nix applications, Joliet is better if you want M$ users to get at your
data.

> 5. about filenames
>
> according to man mkisofs, the -l option allows you to use 30 character
> filenames instead of the 8.3 specified by iso9660.   do people use this?
> any caveats?  it says the rockridge extensions still mandate an 8.3
> filename.  i definitely want long filenames on my burned cd's.

I don't think I would want to use -l... too incompatible.

> 6. about disks
>
> do people have a favorite place/supplier for the cheapest high quality CDRW
> disks?  i know enough to not buy them at frys, unless i want to pay more.
> any favorite websites to check out?   also, i've heard that the different
> colours of disks mean differing quality.  is that true?  which colour is the
> highest quality?   is there a difference between CDR and CDRW disks?

Gee... I could use some tips then, too, cuz I usually get them at Fry's.
I might buy more if I could find good ones at good prices.

Gold-Green is the lowest quality, but also the cheapest.  I
have actually had some cd drives refuse to read gold-green cds
that other drives had no problem with.  Silver/blue is better, and
gold-gold is probably the best.  The key is how much light is reflected...
the brighter the recording surface, generally the better the cd.  There
may be such a thing as "too bright" but I haven't encountered it.

There is also some contention about the stability the recording material
in CDR discs... but I don't recall where I saw the discussion.  I am sure
a google search would turn up some stuff.

> i feel kinda lost about all this, but it's starting to come together.  any
> hints would be really appreciated!

me too. :)