[vox-tech] very burning questions....

  • Subject: [vox-tech] very burning questions....
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@MAPSbelial.ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 12:02:20 -0700

dear all,

1. how much data?

i know a typical CD holds something like 650 or 680 MB.  i also know that
there's some overhead in the iso9660 filesystem.  so the maximum capacity of
a cd is uninteresting when compared to "how much of my data can i fit onto a
cd?".  has anybody done tests to see what this maximum is?

2. what happens if i go over?

what happens when i go over this limit?  does the data not get written or
does the cd become toast?

3. question about man mkisofs

according to the man page, the -d option: "omit trailing period from files
that do not have a period".   what the HECK is that supposed to mean?

4. about extensions

so there's the joliet and rockridge extensions.  i'm not considering the el
torito extension because i'm not terribly interested (yet) in making a
bootable cd.   which do people use?  what are the advantages/disadvantages
of each?  i know that joliet allows longer filenames and the rockridge keepsi
the idea of ownership and permissions on a file.  anything else?  the
manpage says that rockridge is still bound by 8.3 filenames.

5. about filenames

according to man mkisofs, the -l option allows you to use 30 character
filenames instead of the 8.3 specified by iso9660.   do people use this?
any caveats?  it says the rockridge extensions still mandate an 8.3
filename.  i definitely want long filenames on my burned cd's.

6. about disks

do people have a favorite place/supplier for the cheapest high quality CDRW
disks?  i know enough to not buy them at frys, unless i want to pay more.
any favorite websites to check out?   also, i've heard that the different
colours of disks mean differing quality.  is that true?  which colour is the
highest quality?   is there a difference between CDR and CDRW disks?

i feel kinda lost about all this, but it's starting to come together.  any
hints would be really appreciated!

pete

One world, one web, one program. -- Microsoft Ad Campaign            _
Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer. -- Nazi Ad Campaign                ._.
<=>+/\/-=Prevent world domination, Install Linux today!=-\/\+<=>    /v\
http://landau.ucdavis.edu/psalzman          p@belial.ucdavis.edu   // \\
  The best way to accelerate a win95 system is at 9.81 m/s^2       rules