Re: [vox-tech] power supply

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> thanks, foo!
>
> this is the first use i've ever heard of for radio shack...  :)
>
> if i add just 1 more device, do you think the power draw of a non-operating
> device but plugged in peripheral would smoke my supply?
>
> in other words, if my machine has 4 power connectors, and i add a 5th, would
> my power supply go belly up just on the base non-operating base draw of
> current of a plugged in device?

There are lots of reasons why you cannot simplify this much. Different
devices have widely varying power requirements, some require more power
during certain operating modes (cdr write, for example), PS rating, PS
quality (aka output impedance).  Even then, a power supply may usually be
overloaded for a short period and continue to work fine, but the stress
may shorten its life.

The simplest solution is to use a way big PS.  Next simplest is to add up
wattages as Foo said.

[...]