[vox-tech] apache / dns question

  • Subject: [vox-tech] apache / dns question
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@belial.ucdaMAPSvis.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:02:03 -0700

could someone tell me if the anding of these 2 statements this is possible:

    dirac.org points to belial.ucdavis.edu (for ssh, ping, ftp, etc)
    www.dirac.org points to landau.ucdavis.edu  (for web services)

the dns record for dirac.org currently looks like:

        ; Name Servers
        dirac.org.  IN  NS ns1.granitecanyon.com.
        dirac.org.  IN  NS ns2.granitecanyon.com.

        ; multiple RP records authorize others to submit zone changes from the email
        ; address in the first field after the RP. This email address is in DNS-email
        ; format. That is, the '@' (at-sign) is replaced by '.' (dot or period.)
        dirac.org. IN RP psalzman.landau.ucdavis.edu. root.dirac.org.
        root.dirac.org.             IN  TXT "Peter Jay Salzman"

        ; addresses for the canonical names.  Emailers expect the name localhost to
        ; exist in a domain with this specific reserved address. 127/8 or
        ; 127/255.0.0.0 is the address of LOOPBACK-NET 127.0.0.1 is reserved to mean
        ; this host on the LOOPBACK-NET
        localhost.dirac.org.   IN  A  127.0.0.1
        ; an address for the zone itself
        dirac.org.      IN  A  216.102.106.76

i'm wondering if it's as simple as adding something like:

        www.dirac.org.   IN  A 169.237.42.71

for the DNS record (169.237.42.71 is landau.ucdavis.edu).   now i have to know
what to do about the web server on landau, because that'll be getting www
requests for "www.dirac.org".

is that what "virtual web hosting" is?

thanks!
pete