January 6: Social gathering

[vox-tech] beeping linux (and star trek)

  • Subject: [vox-tech] beeping linux (and star trek)
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@belial.ucdaviMAPSs.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:30:25 -0700

a long time ago, someone had asked "how do i turn beeping off on linux".

i answered that you can turn beeping under vi off by set noerrorbells, but
that it never seemed to work (for me, at least).

now, i have a real answer.  one that works!  :-)

        xset b off

will turn off all beeping under X.  if you man xset, you'll see that you can
even change the volume of the beeping!

on a related note, i've found that you can turn off the computer's fan noise by:

        xset f off

and your fan will operate in complete silence...

pete

ps- has anyone noticed that STDS9 has been replaced by next generation on fox
at 11:30.   as a whole, STNG was good, but not great.  luckily, they've only
been showing the good episodes so far...

One world, one web, one program. -- Microsoft Ad Campaign            _
Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer. -- Nazi Ad Campaign                ._.
<=>+/\/-=Prevent world domination, Install Linux today!=-\/\+<=>    /v\
website coming soon as I get DSL            p@belial.ucdavis.edu   // \\
  The best way to accelerate a win95 system is at 9.81 m/s^2       rules