2008 Aug 29 15:26

Re: [vox-outreach] city computer training lab for workshops?

Re: [vox-outreach] city computer training lab for workshops?

We actually held a number of basic Linux-related classes in
conjunction with DCN in the past.  It kind of fell to the wayside,
both when I left the Davis area, and when Richard Lowenberg (the main DCN
guy, and main contact between LUGOD and DCN) left the area.

See: http://www.lugod.org/projects/class/

The page is sorely out of date (Nov 2002!)

Two issues:  They have PCs there already.  Last I saw, the monitors
were under the top of the table, behind glass.  We had to either boot
into Linux off of live CDs (slow) or use a server and VPN (slow).

This was fine for some of the introductory classes (how to use Gimp,
how to use OpenOffice.org, etc.)

I think the workshop "do it on your own box" idea for the IFs is better
for the Linux-using crowd.

We kind of have five crowds of people, with only some overlap:

* Mailinglist members
* Meeting attenders
* Demo visitors
* Class visitors  (almost NO overlap)