Re: [vox-outreach] [education@wef.ucdavis.edu: Re: [Fwd:booth application]]

The message from the WEF Education email seems to have missed the freedom, social justice and community building aspects of Open Source software. As computers become more and more integral to daily life, we need to ensure there are computing options available that are not controlled by corporate or government interests. Open Source software empowers people to express themselves, explore, share and discover in ways that no other software does.

Consider that many software license agreements have clauses that say:
* If you do not like our software, you may not publically critisize it.
* If you measure how well the software works, you may not share that information.
* You may not look at how the software works.
* Your right to use the software may be revoked for no reason, at any time, without a refund.

It is not safe to write these terms off saying "Yeah, but they'd never enforce them." When Microsoft was unhappy with the number of illegal copies of Windows being used in South Korea, they threatened the South Korean government that they'd take Microsoft software away from all of South Korea - legal users as well as illegal users.

With Open Source / Free software, nobody can take away your right to use it, or tell you how you may or may not use it, or what you can say about it.

From the WEF page [ wef.ucdavis.edu ]:

"The mission of the Whole Earth Festival is to envision and create a community driven festival of education, music, and art." ... "We will rely on each other more and rely on corporations and oil less"

I think software is a critical area for people to consider if they want to fulfill this mission.

Consider also that using Open Source software like Linux also helps the environment. Because this software is more efficient, computers need to be replaced less often, saving the environment from the heavy metals and other toxic chemicals that are in computer hardware. Linux has far better support for old hardware than commercial operating systems.

Look at the requirement for Windows and Linux:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/systemrequirements.mspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(Linux_distribution)#System_requirements

Windows requires 512 MB of RAM, and recommends 1024 MB to use all features. By contrast, Ubuntu Linux only asks for 256 MB of RAM for the same functionality. That means less consumerism and less harsh chemicals in the environment.

Nick Schmalenberger wrote:
This sucks. I called their office and the guy I talked to said he
thought we should have a booth, so it will probably be okay, but he said
they should call me back next week. Gah. ----- Forwarded message from Whole Earth Education <education@wef.ucdavis.edu> -----