2006 Oct 12 13:36

Re: [vox-outreach] DCN contact -- potential for class

Re: [vox-outreach] DCN contact -- potential for class

Bill Kendrick wrote:
It looks like someone named Jim Frame is now sending out
Davis Community Network's (DCN's) newsletters.

admin@dcn.org

looks to be the address to sent comments to, so perhaps we can spark
the topic of a LUGOD class by contacting him?

Harold, feel like tackling this? :)
Sure - I'll fire off an email and try to find out what's going on logistically. Sorry I couldn't make it to the social, my son was sick.

I imagine basically two types of classes,
- Converting power users
- Giving a test drive / taste of Linux to general computer users

Power users likely have an idea what Linux is, and want to know some details about architecture, shells and programming, CD/DVD ripping, hard-core gaming, etc. General users would probably get the most out of seeing that Firefox, Evolution and OpenOffice can meet many of their day to day needs without a steep learning curve. I like the idea of trying to address these needs separately, because in a mixed environment both groups tend to be frustrated by the questions and focus of the other group.

Both groups probably have a secondary, older system they can use to play with Linux, if only via a Live CD, so I see distributing some flavor of Linux on CD as critical to getting longer term adoption. Power users are much more likely to wind up attending future LUGOD events, whereas general users might find the demo interesting and tuck the CD away for months or years before finding a user for Linux in their home life.

-Harold