2006 Sep 10 17:32

Re: [vox-outreach] [demo][farmer market] OpenCD Copies

Re: [vox-outreach] [demo][farmer market] OpenCD Copies

Jim George wrote:
On Sunday 10 September 2006 02:59 pm, Alex Mandel wrote:
For the upcoming Free Software Day tabling at the Farmer's Market I was
preparing some CDs for distribution.
This email is so we can try to coordinate/distribute the burning effort:

What to Burn| Platform| How Many| % |Link:
OpenCD v3.1     x86       ?      50% http://www.theopencd.org/download
FreeSmug   Mac PPC/Intel  ?      20%  http://www.freesmug.org/fscd/
KubuntuLive6.06 x86       ?      20% http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php
KubuntuLive6.06 PPC       ?      10% http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php
Knoppix                   ?       ?  http://www.knoppix.org/

So the estimates here make it easy to divide up 10 discs into
5,2,2,1 respectively.
The Live x86 number may seem a little low but that's because the OpenCD
has a Live Ubuntu 5.10 on it.

Let me know what you guys think, who can burn how many and how many
total we should burn.
I'm offering to burn 10 discs for sure.
I've got torrents running on all of these right now, so I'll start
burning tonight.
We (me and Tim) have a total of 30 knoppix 5 cd's.
I have d/l iso of theopencd, burned and tested. Stable. Dig this...it's also a live ubuntu cd!!! This is sooo bitchin. I will burn 25 on QUALITY cd's (last time I did this they were cheap cd's and caused people's pcs to lock up!).

How bout some freesmug cd? Never heard of them but would like to see it. Is it a live cd?

Didn't we receive some Kubuntu/ubuntu cd's that were shipped?
One very important thing. Lugod member Tim Riley and I found that booting a knoppix cd into a system that has wifi will cause it to crash. Not only did it do this to my custom pc but my daghters dell as well. I have googled and found that this is a known problem. Some sites state that boot option knoppix failsafe will eliviate this but it doesn't. I also tried knoppix noapm nodhcp acpi=off and that almost worked but it failed to load agp pkg for eth1 (my wifi). Need a solution.

I have a couple of other live disks as well like mepis, kate, and something else that has escaped my memory for the time being.

Give me some feedback as to what I should do/burn/whathaveyou.

I still need literature, table(s), chairs, and other cd's that are now available. I believe Ryan has table and chairs. Bill correct me if I am wrong. Does he also have literature or does that need to be printed as well? I will email him directly and ask if I can set up a pick up time.

Jim
Ok, I'll burn 10 Freesmug and 5 Kubuntu PPC Live discs.
Unfortunately freesmug does not appear to have a live disc on it.
Also note that the OpenCD has an older version of Ubuntu. Check that you have OpenCD 3.1, 3.0 has 2 versions old of Ubuntu.
Speaking of which, that's the problem with the Official Ubuntu Discs we have they are Hoary 4.10, 2 years old version at this point, 6.06 the latest is 3 versions newer.

As for literature, if someone sends me the files they want printed I have a high speed duplex laser and can run off some stuff (I've got a box of 30% recycled paper and need an excuse to use it.)
We should probably have a page on each of the discs we give out so people know whats on them.

Hmm, I've run knoppix 5 on my laptop but never tried the wifi - I always use it for fixing things never just using the machine. I'll test it out, and compare to the latest Kubuntu Live.

Another cool disc I've been playing with is Helix. Maybe you want a few copies of that. It's a forensic/data recovery disc with a windows executable and a custom knoppix based live CD all about security, file recovery etc. It's supposed to be good for cleaning a windows machine while it's being infected or attacked.

Alex