Re: [vox-outreach] How'd Day 1 go!?

Bill Kendrick wrote:

> How did Day 1 of WEF go!? :^)

I was there from 2 till 6pm. We passed out a bunch of Ubuntu live CDs, a couple
of the Ubuntu live+install packets, and a handful of LUGOD business cards. The
people stopping by ranged from techy high schoolers frustrated with their
school's IT (chained to Internet Explorer! Gah!), to program managers who last
worked with UNIX when it was still just 'UNIX', to the (perennially resident)
TuxPaint artist. Jonathan had to came back to pick up stuff after 6 (I guess he
made an incorrect assumption about Emily's plans ;) ), so he'll be dropping it
off tomorrow morning.

I just realized I should probably write the following thought, which occurred to
me earlier. When people come by, my plan is to have a conversation with them.
Ask them what they know, what they *want* to know, how comfortable they are with
computers, etc. That way, the information I give them is tailored to their
interest. This means they'll be likely to remember more of it, as well as feel
welcome in the Linux community. I sort of got the impression that some of us
were just executing 'cat /my/vast/knowledge >/confused/visitor', with mixed
results. ;-)

All in all it was very fun, even if we almost confused a few couple people with
conflicting distro recommendations. :)

-Bryan

--
Bryan Richter