2004 Oct 27 11:57

Re: [vox-outreach] My letter to CPR

Well, if you guys are interested, here's the one I wrote (I suck at
this stuff as well).  Comments are welcome, I'll submit it later today.

Dear CPR Commission:

When I learned of the state's plan to explore open-source software with
the SO10 proposal, I was very excited.  I am a programmer, and I have
been using Open Source Software since around 1995, when I was in
college.  Open Source has helped me perform my job at a much higher
level, and has reduced costs in acquiring software.  Those who oversee
my work have been continuously impressed at the quality, reliability,
cost, performance, and security of Open-Source Software.

As a taxpayer, the idea that California is seeking to use Open Source
Software is exciting.  When proprietary technologies come at such a
high cost (such as the Oracle licensing deal a year or two back),
California could save millions on software licenses alone.  Also, Open
Source Software can also be used to compel lower bids from proprietary
vendors.  Even Microsoft has repackaged it's Operating System at a
lower cost (the Windows Lite being sold in Thailand and other
countries) to respond to the lower costs of Open Source Software.  I
have witnessed vendors lowering estimates when faced with the
competition from Open-Source alternatives.  But leveraging price is
only a small benefit of using Open Source software, the benefits are
multi-faceted, and far-reaching.

California has a rich history with both Open Source Software.  The
University of California has contributed millions of lines of code to
Open Source projects.  Open Source Software has helped Apple
Corporation build it's Operating System, Mac OSX.  Much of this new
Operating System is the brainchild of the Berkeley Software
Distribution (also known as BSD), developed in California by the
University of California at Berkeley.  This is an exciting model: the
technologies developed at our schools directly helping a company
improve its products.  This model is working today, and it could work
for all of us.

California has the experience, the knowledge, the tools, and the
technology to use Open Source Software to the benefit of every
Californian.

Open Source Software can be a strong part of California's plan to
reduce costs, while simultaneously providing the high-quality services
our taxes pay for.  Our state is rich with the knowledge of
technologies, and these riches should benefit our citizens, our
companies, and our government.  If Open Source Software is helping
large corporations (such as IBM, Apple Computer, and Oracle
Corporation) reduce costs and improve the overall quality of products
and services, then the State of California can reap these benefits, as
well.

My recommendation is for the California Performance Review to approve
SO10.

Respectfully Submitted,

Jan Wynholds

=====
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders
of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple
matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist
dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship.
Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding
of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they
are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism,
and exposing the country to greater danger.
     --Hermann Goering