2004 Sep 29 10:54

Re: [vox-outreach] Read what others have said to CPR about OSS!

Re: [vox-outreach] Read what others have said to CPR about OSS!

In a quick skimming, I saw a lot of comments more or less like "we are
moderate and not biased against OSS, but feel that OSS is not superior to
proprietary software and government agencies should be free to pick the
software with the best value without any bias towards a specific license
or development model."

I disagree with that --- there are some specific reasons why OSS IS
inherently superior to a proprietary model. I also think that is is
disingenuous to portray the above position as a moderate position, while
poking holes in the credibility of OSS. Just a first impression; I have
not studied the comments in any detail.
While I agree with you, be aware, that is the latest "politically correct"
spin from the Software Manufacturers organizations to try and make it
look like Open Source is a bunch of facist zealots.  It's the best they
can hope for to make their position look like they're supporting the
best interests of the state.  Of course it's disingenuous... It's marketing
and spin, but, that's what politics is all about.  We need to get better
at this, too, if we are going to make headway.  I'd like to see us avoid
being disingenuous, but, we have to remember that the proprietary software
community is relatively limited on ethics, and, tends to have a larger
marketing budget.

Owen