2004 Aug 30 13:10

[vox-outreach] Demo for Software Freedom Day went well!

[vox-outreach] Demo for Software Freedom Day went well!

Today's Linux demo for Software Freedom Day went well.  Apparently
Dr. Andy mentioned the event on his show this past Wednesday, because
a small group of people were already lined up for it when I got there
(slightly late, just past 4pm :^) )

Since I was in town this weekend for moving as well, I discovered a large
collection of Linux Journal, Linux Magazine and Embedded Linux Journal
magazines that had been collecting dust, so I brought them to give away,
as well.  (There were a bunch left at the end, but one eager fellow took
_all_ of the rest of them off my hands, rather than letting me recycle them.)

There were definitely some slow points, but around 6:15 I did a 2nd
announcement on the Co-Op's P.A. system saying "last call for free stuff,"
and another crowd drew. :^)

We had STC discs and Knoppix discs there, along with a few handouts:

  "Welcome to LUGOD"  (standard "what is LUGOD, what do we do?" info sheet)
  "Free Computer Software"  (the pamphlet of OSS for Windows)
  "Windows - Unsafe at Any Speed" / "Linux Use Continues to Grow"
    (one side is some recent major-pain-in-the-butt MS exploits,
    the other is news about Linux's adoption in schools and gov'ts :^) )

O'Reilly sent us a number of copies of their new book
"Understanding Open Source and Free Software Licensing."
I kept one for the library, and put the rest out.  All but one were taken.
(It IS a litlte specialized of a topic for the general, not-yet-Linux-using
public ;^) )

Finally, Marteen (from Argentina) visited for a while, to say hello and
see how LUGOD does our LUG thing.  (He also had a delicious-looking
Sharp Zaurus SL-6000 :^) )

Anyway, thanks to Tim Riley, Henry House, Mike Simons, Daphne Pareas,
Emily Stumpf and Dmitriy Ivanov for helping make this a successful,
if small, demo!

Maybe next year if there's a 2nd "Software Freedom Day," we can do something
much bigger and louder. >:^)

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com            Man, some trip this turned out to be.
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/       All we caught is a tire, a boot,
New Breed Software                    a tin can and this book of cliches.