2004 Jul 01 16:55

[vox-outreach] Hi, I'm a new member

Hi, my name is Christian Einfeldt, and I'm a new member of this
list!  I found the list through Paul Miller, whom I met on the
OpenOffice.org marketing list.

Bill Kendrick asked me to introduce myself, so here goes:

I'm producing a film called the Digital Tipping Point, which is a
documentary on the cultural implications of the global shift to
open source software.  I believe that OSS is like the printing
press being reinvented all over again.  Like the printing press,
OSS and the Internet will result in diffusion of the tools of
expression to groups which would otherwise be separated from those
tools by the digital divide.  If you think that democracy is a good
thing, then you gotta love OSS and the Internet.

However, it is also true that there are a some people who oppose the
highest and best use of OSS and the Internet, and these people have
lots of money and power.  If OSS and the Internet are going to
succeed, then those of who like OSS and the Internet are going to
have to work hard to shepard it through a few minefields.  To do
this, we will need more support, which is why I am doing my film,
to let Joe Sixpack know that he has options and why he should care.
Computers are not just geek toys; with the Internet, computers are
TVs in reverse.  TVs just passively receive information; computers
can make anyone a broadcaster.

We have 90 hours of footage for our film, and have interviewed the
following people: international pop music star Gilberto Gil, who is
also now the Cultural Minister of Brazil; Christian Ude, Mayor of
Munich; Miguel de Vasquez, the Minister of Education for the
Spanish State of Extremadura; Brian Behlendorf of the Apache
project; Ian Murdock, the founder of the Debian Project; Stanford
Law Prof. Lawrence Lessig, the author of the book, "Future of
Ideas"; Tim Witham, the director of the Open Source Development
Lab, where Linus Torvalds is a Fellow; Chris Hofmann of the Mozilla
project; Oregon State Representatives Phil Barnhart (D) and Jerry
Krummel (R); and Scott Robinson, the Portland Schools administrator
who refused to allow a Microsoft audit of the Portland Public
School district.

So thanks for allowing me to participate in your list!

Christian Einfeldt
415-351-1300